Friday, April 15, 2016

Storytelling Week 9: The Dating Game Part 2

“Now that you all have heard the rules we will begin our questions with our first contestant, Mike. Once Mike answers the question Alex will go, then Will, Josh, and finally Sam,” Ryan explained.

“Is everyone ready?!” Ryan exclaimed.

The crowd cheered. Ava could hardly sit still in the love seat.

“Then let us begin the game! The first question is: what is your best quality?” Ryan started.

Mike spoke up. “My best quality would have to be my work ethic. I grew up on a ranch out in the country and learned what it means to take care of myself and of my family.”

Alex went next. “That would be my humor. I love making others around me laugh. After all, laughter is the best medicine for anything!”

“Those qualities are cute, boys. I believe mine would be my charming good looks. Hear that, Ava?” Will boasted.

Ava rolled her eyes and the crowd cheered and hollered. Apparently he wasn’t lying.

Josh started when the crowd died down. “Mine would be my patience. I have learned that the best things come to those who wait.”

Sam went last. “I’d say my honesty. You see, I am rather blunt and I don’t like to talk much.”

Ryan cautioned Sam. “That might not always be a good thing, Sam! Now on to our next question. What is your idea of a romantic date?”

*                              *                             *

Ava stared at her sheet of names. The game had come to an end and it was time for her to make a choice. She could hear the intercession and rustle of the audience in the background and tried to focus. Mike was a hard-working cowboy. He had grown up on a ranch where he had acquired his work ethic. He had a deep voice that Ava loved. Alex was hilarious. Every time he spoke Ava ended up laughing at his corny jokes. Will was just annoying and was way too cocky for her. Ava felt like if they went on a date it would be all about him. Josh was a kind-hearted man. He was always so genuine and gave his heart to the questions, unlike some others. Sam had a funny dry humor. He wasn’t kidding when he said he was blunt. His answers were straight to the point. Ava thought about each and after a while had finally came to a decision.

“Ryan, I have made my decision,” Ava said.

“Everyone,” Ryan announced, “Ava has chosen a winner! Can I have a drum roll please?”

A boom of thunder came from the crowd as they started the drum roll.

“My choice is...Mike!” Ava declared.

The crowd burst into applaud and cheered at her choice. Mike then stood up and walked out from behind the curtain. He was a good-looking man. He had short blonde hair and baby blue eyes. He was wearing a red plaid shirt with dark blue jeans and cowboy boots. He was in very good shape and his smile was breathtaking.

Ava smiled to herself  because he was perfect. Who knew she would find this gem on a dating show?
          


*                             *                             *
While Frank's parents were sleeping, Frank snuck into their closet and found the family safe. After a few minutes he was able to unlock the safe. Frank smiled. "More than enough money to get me to New York."

Author's Note:

The previous two stories in my portfolio are about Frank and Ava. The latest was “The Dating Game” which featured Ava on a dating show with five contestants. This story is a continuation of “The Dating Game.” In the Indian Epic, Narayan's Mahabharata, the character of Draupadi finds herself in a swayamvara contest and the winner would have Draupadi as his wife. Arjuna ends up winning the swayamvara contest because he was able to shoot the fish in the eye. After taking Draupadi to their mother, Kunti, she mistakenly told the Pandavas to share what they had brought, not knowing it was a bride. Thus the Pandavas had to share Draupadi and she had to marry all five. In my story, winning the contest is only done by answering the questions the best. In Ava's mind that was Mike.


There were two reasons I chose to do a game show to represent Draupadi’s situation. The first is show Draupadi having five husbands through the five contestants. The second is to represent the swayamvara in a modern-day setting. A swayamvara was a practice in India of choosing a husband from a list of different suitors by a woman. Having the swayamvara be shown as a dating game was the best way I thought to represent it. There was an actual show in the late 60’s called “The Dating Game” which was played exactly like I had it in my story. The only difference was that in the TV show there were three contestants instead of five.


5 comments:

  1. Hi again,

    I have just finished reading your story and reading the first half from week seven. It was different from many of the other stories I have encountered this semester. I am always interested in seeing different story telling styles and I enjoyed your concept of the dating game. Draupadi is one of the few characters that has not been covered much this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a story about a game show before yours, and I really enjoyed it! You did a great job with both the dialogue, character description, and the thoughts of Ava.
    I had trouble discerning between what character in the game show might be out of the five husbands. You may want to expand on this in your author's note, if you like.
    Overall, this was a fantastic story idea, I may have to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Ollie!
    I am relieved to find out that Ava picked one guy and did not win them all in the contest! I love the different options that she had to choose from. And you did a good job of not making it obvious who she was going to pick. I was surprised when I got to her choice. I thought you were going to make it the last guy, Sam, not the first guy, Mike. Well played. What is it that Ava most liked about Mike? That would be the question I am left with when reading the stories you have shared so far. I do hope there is more to the stories!
    I also wonder what Frank is up to...I feel like there is a crazy stalker story still in here waiting to surprise us! Like the famous 80's song by the band THE POLICE, "I'll be watching you!". Some people thought it was a song about love, but it is a song about a stalker. Frank/Ravenna fits the bill....just saying! I love love love your stories Ollie! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ollie,

    This was such a nice, fun story to read! I like the style of stories that use reality shows, talk shows, etc. in the story. I really like that we got to find out a bit more about the characters through their brief introductions. Even with one or two sentences, I think all of us readers were able to pick out the good potential suitors from the bad ones. I was rooting for anyone but Will haha! I like that Ava made the right choice! Who wouldn’t want a hard working cowboy. An added bonus was that he was good looking too!! Your author’s note was actually very helpful for me as I got to see the similarities between having a love competition in the Ramayana and in your story. I also did a similar thing in one of my storytelling assignments where I used the show, The Bachelorette, where Draupadi has to choose a potential mate! All in all, you wrote a great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ollie,
    I love that you decided to have a continuation of your Frank and Ava characters depicted as other people according to the epic of the week. The first story I read was the one about the dating game. I thought it was a very cute premise and loved the idea of the Drapaudi like character to choose between five different contestants, similar to Mahabharata. I think that you delivered their lines perfectly for it was funny and descriptive when it needed to be. I liked that you gave all the boys their own little quirks and personalities. I was rooting for Mark so I am glad he won and that she was happy. At first, I was confused about the Frank character at the end of each story but now I realize that he was being depicted as Ravana from Mahabharata. I am really curious to see what this mysterious Frank has to do with all of this.

    ReplyDelete