Monday, February 8, 2016

Story book writing styles

I have decided to do a love story blog. I have never actually written a love story before so it will be a challenge but I have of course read a few and seen movies. I was to include different type of scenarios. For example I like the idea of the love in Eragon. Both Eragon and Arya have a connection but they know they can be each other’s weakness and that they were destined for a life away from each other.




I also like the love story in The Sword of Truth series. Richard and Kaylen both love each other but there are magical barriers that, at first keep the together, but is overcome and they can be together. It isn’t all lovey dovey. There are parts in the story where Kaylen betrays Richard. To the point he doesn’t want to forgive her. He does in the end, but things like that really capture my attention and makes want to read on.



Anthology is something I would consider. Maybe having mini love stories. The only problem I see with that is I may or may not have enough time in the writing for the dramatic stuff to happen. There won’t be enough time to build up to the story or fall in love with characters. Frametale in my option would be a better option for the kind of story I am envisioning. However I’d want to actually connect them and make a story about the two lovers. Maybe have one story about the woman, one about the man, and have them meet in a different story.

Love letters could also be something I’d want to do. I am very good at writing how I speak, if fact it is the primary way I write. However I have never written a story in this context so it may be difficult. This way though, the back story would have to be told in the letters so the reader can connect. I also don’t like the fact that my lovers would be separated.


The last style I am considering is to tell the story in the point of view of another person. Maybe they live in a castle and the maid watches them fall in love. Or maybe they are on a journey and another friend watches them. The only thing with this is that I’d want my characters to have independence. I’d want scenes while they are alone. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ollie!

    I know you ended up doing a portfolio, but I really enjoyed reading your storybook styles ideas! To be honest, I accidentally clicked on this tab, but was drawn into reading when I saw the word “Eragon”! I’ve never actually seen the movie, but I love the books!! I actually just reread them a few weeks ago (I’m one of those weirdos who rereads books). I’ve never heard of the Sword of Truth series, but I will definitely look into it—you obviously have good taste in books. I think you made a good choice going with the portfolio! You mentioned time constraints, and the storybook project is definitely time consuming!

    ReplyDelete