Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Blackbird

Authors Note:
I took the following song and made it into a story, I actually the beginning of the song in my story and the last half into actual characters. 

Sing a song of sixpence,
A bag full of rye;
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie;

When the pie was open'd,
The birds began to sing;
Was not that a dainty dish,
To set before the king?

The king was in his counting-house
Counting out his money;
The queen was in the parlour
Eating bread and honey;

The maid was in the garden
Hanging out the clothes,
There came a little blackbird,
And snapt off her nose.       

My Story
                The kitchen was loud and crowded, just like every day in the castle.  Fresh dough was being kneaded, salads were being prepared, and meat was being cooked. Sarah grew up in this kitchen, she started working the moment she could walk. Her mother was the head of the kitchen and her mother’s mother before that and now she held the title. Today was a special day, festivities were going on all around the castle, it was the king’s birthday.

                The queen had been in the kitchen for the most part of the day tasting, test, critiquing. The queen ate the bread and even the honey to make sure it was perfect, as if she didn’t trust the kitchen maids.
                “Sarah dear” The queen commanded “Won’t you be a doll and make a pie for my husband?”
                “Of course your majesty, what kind did you have in mind?” Sarah asked.
                “Oh, surprise me”
After commanding a pie to be made for her husband, the queen went on her way.

                This was Sarah’s chance, it was finally time to make her blackbird pie. There was an old legend that blackbirds have the power to shrink and could be controlled with their love of killing. Sarah was going to use this myth to finally put an end to the greedy king who was no doubt in the counting-house, counting his money. The king was so greedy with wealth and power that his kingdom was poor and starving. He never spend money to better the kingdom and starving children suffered the consequences every day because of it. Sarah had only a little time to make the pie.

 
BlackBird
From RSPB

                The pie was almost complete, all she needed was the blackbirds. She knew of only one way to summon them. She opened the window and under her breath sang the song,
“Sing a song of Sixpence,
a bag full of rye;
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie;”
Sarah could hear the birds coming!
It must be working! she thought.
“When the pie was open’d,
The birds began to sing;
Was not that a dainty dish,
to set before the king?”
The bird flooded in as if no one could see them and swooped right into the pie, before she knew it, all the birds were in the pie. Sarah was caught in a daze, dumbfounded that the song had worked. When she returned to her surrounding, the pie was gone.


Sarah frantically looked around, the pie was nowhere in sight. Suddenly Sarah head a scream of in the distance, she ran towards the window and saw the blackbirds attacking a maid! Sarah was confused, she had sung the song about the king, why didn’t it work? Sarah slowly backed away from the window, she wanted nothing to do with this, she no longer wanted to mess with powers she did not understand.

4 comments:

  1. Olivia, I really enjoyed reading your story about Sarah and her blackbird pie. I liked how you took the song and created a story that resembled something Disney or Pixar would make. I hate blackbirds, especially crows, therefore I am glad this is fiction. Also, I found a story about cooking to be very interesting because one of my hobbies is cooking!

    Overall, I thought it was a great story that I enjoyed reading.

    -Trevor Eckard-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia, I really enjoyed reading your story about Sarah and her blackbird pie. I liked how you took the song and created a story that resembled something Disney or Pixar would make. I hate blackbirds, especially crows, therefore I am glad this is fiction. Also, I found a story about cooking to be very interesting because one of my hobbies is cooking!

    Overall, I thought it was a great story that I enjoyed reading.

    -Trevor Eckard-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia, I thought your story was great and kept me interested the whole time! You are so not a bad writer like you said in your introduction! I liked how you depicted in the beginning your story and then turned it into something you created. I liked the twist at the end even though it was really sad. You have great creativity!


    -Jordan Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ollie!
    First, I want to say that I love your name! I think it’s so cute.
    I think putting your author’s note first in this case was pretty helpful in seeing where your inspiration came from. This is a rhyme that I think is familiar to many people, but you definitely took it and made it your own. By including part of the song in your actual narrative, you sort of gave the song it’s own backstory—albeit a rather scary backstory! I really loved all of the details you added to bring the song and the story to life. I could practically feel Sarah’s horror watching the birds attack the wrong person. You took such a creative route with the information given, and it really made for a good read! I would loved to have seen what happened to the maid and to Sarah when the story ended, although I can’t imagine it was anything good. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete